Sunday 28 October 2012

Why was the jack-o-lantern afraid to cross the road? He had no guts! -Halloween Risotto

Happy Halloween all!
I have always loved celebrating Halloween but usually just by bathing myself in fake blood and drinking far too much in Camden Town. This year however I decided to be a little more mature and break my Jack-o-lantern virginity, especially if it meant I had some scrummy pumpkin to create an autumnal treat with afterwards. 

So I know he isn't the most impressive of the bunch but I am still VERY proud to introduce to you my lovely Mr Jack. 



....and now for the yummy bit... My 'Pumpkin, sage and goats cheese Halloween Risotto'. 
For this you will need (to serve 4):
- 1 Pint of chicken stock
- 1 small pumpkin and a small sweet potato (diced)
- a handful of fresh sage (please use fresh as dried really just isnt the same!)
- 100g gooey Goats cheese (I use Cartmel or Soignon)
- salt and pepper
- A tbsp of fresh Parmesan to serve
- 200g Risotto rice



This really is SO simple and heavenly! 
Fry your onion and sage in olive oil in a big pan (the sort you would use for stew or soup) until soft. Next add the rice until fully coated in the oil and then add about a quarter of your hot stock. Keep stirring until simmering. Next add the pumpkin and sweet potato. Once the first bit of stock has been absorbed add another quarter and keep stirring (its a great forearm workout!), repeat this until the pumpkin is soft and the rice is fully cooked. Be patient and make sure the end result is still lovely and gooey (add a cheeky chunk of butter!) before adding generous chunks of goats cheese.

Serve with some crispy fried sage (fry for 1 min in olive oil and its heaven!) and a sprinkle of parmesan....oh and a glass light red wine! 






No comments:

Post a Comment